Professor Paul Francois Muzindutsi
Telephone: 031 260 7871
Building & Room: J Block 3th Floor, Room 362
Professor Paul-Francois Muzindutsi is an associate professor of Finance in the school of Accounting, Economics and Finance. He has expertise in Financial Modelling, Financial Risk, Financial Markets and Time Series. Professor Muzindutsi is actively involved in research and has published a number of articles in peer reviewed journals and has presented research papers at local and international conferences. He is an assistant editor of the African Journal of Business and Economic Research (AJBER), a reviewer of various journals, and a member of scientific committee for local and international academic conferences.
Professor Muzindutsi has extensive experience in lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate modules in Finance and Econometrics. He currently teaches Quantitative Finance, International Business Finance, Financial Management and Risk and Portfolio Management. He supervises Masters and PhD students working on Financial Markets, Financial Modelling, Behavioural Finance, Financial Risk, Banking, Investment Portfolio and Time Series Analysis. He has successfully supervised a number of masters and PhD students in the field of Finance and Economics. Professor Muzindutsi has occupied leadership positions at different higher institutions of learning, including the academic leadership for Finance discipline at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He is passionate about student development and believes in teaching through motivation.
- B. Com- Economics and Finance (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- B. Com Honours- Finance (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- M.Com- Finance (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- PhD- Economics (North-West University)
- Financial Modelling
- Behavioural finance
- Financial risk
- Investment analysis
- Time series analysis of macroeconomic variables
- Development economics
Recent Publications and Papers
Recent Research Articles In Peer-Reviewed Journals
- OBALADE, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2020) Validating the Adaptive Market Hypothesis in the Tunisian Stock Market. International Journal of T Trade and Global Markets, Vol. 13(1), 42-51.
- Vengesai, E., & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2020) Effect of Disaggregated Country Risk Shocks on Financing Decisions of the JSE listed Firms. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, Vol. 12(1).
- Nhlapho R.N. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2020) The Impact of Disaggregated Country Risk on the South African Equity and Bond Market. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, Vol. 12(1), 189-203.
- Obalade, A.A., & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Time Varying Calendar Anomaly in African Stock Markets: Application of GARCH Models. Journal of Global Business and Technology, Vol. 9 (2).
- Rupande, L., Muguto, H.T. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Investor sentiment and foreign financial flows: Evidence from South Africa. Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, Vol. 37 (2), 473-498.
- Obalade, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Adaptive Market Hypothesis and Day-Of-The-Week Effect in African Stock Markets: Markov Switching Model. Comparative Economic Research, Vol. 22(3), 145-162.
- Rupande, L., Muguto, H.T. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Investor Sentiment and Volatility: Evidence from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Cogent Economics & Finance, Vol. 7. 1600233.
- Akinwale, Y.O. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Electricity consumption, trade openness and economic growth in South Africa: An ARDL approach. Journal of Economic Cooperation & Development, Vol. 40 (1).
- Muzindutsi, P.F. (2018) Unexpected Social Performance and Share Returns in South African companies: An Event Study Methodology. International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Vol.11(3).
- Obalade, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2018) Are there Cycles of Efficiency and Inefficiency? Adaptive Market Hypothesis in Three African Stock Markets. Frontiers in Finance and Economics, Vol. 15(1), 185-202.
- Muzindutsi, P.F. (2018) A Comparative Analysis of Income- and Asset-Based Poverty Measures of Households in a Township in South Africa. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, Vol.10.
- Ramudzuli, P.M. & Muzindutsi P.F. (2018) Determinants of Financial and Non-Financial Risk Tolerance Among Students at Selected South African Universities. Foundations of Management, Vol. 10, 293-302.
- Muzindutsi, P.F. & Manaliyo, J.C. (2018) Econometric Analysis of Real Exchange Rate Shocks and Real Growth of Tourism Sector in South Africa. International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Vol. 11(3), 205-2013.
- Obalade, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2018) Return Predictability and Market Conditions: Evidence from Nigerian, South African and Mauritian Stock Markets. African Journal of Business and Economic Research, Vol. 13(2), 7-23.
- Muzindutsi P.F. & Surujlal, J. (2018) Tourism Accommodation and Housing Property Market in South Africa: Time Series Analysis. International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Vol. 11(3), 270-280.
Recent Presentations In Peer Reviewed Conferences
- Muzindutsi, P.F., Rajhununan, S., Dube, M., Ganie, B., Mahess, E. & Reddy D. (2020). Disaggregated Country Risk and the JSE Mining Index: An ARDL Approach. Presented at 2020 (Sydney) Conference on Interdisciplinary Business and Economics Research, 10th-11th January 2020, Sydney, Australia.
- Obalade, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019) Static or Adaptive? The Month-Of-The-Year and Intra-Month Effects in African Stock Markets. Presented at SIBR Hong Kong 2018 Conference on Interdisciplinary Business and Economics Research, September 28 – 29, 2019, Hong Kong.
- Vengesai, E., Rupande, L., Muguto, H.T. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019) Country risk and the interaction between gold price and gold index return volatilities: Evidence from the South African market. Presented at SIBR Hong Kong 2018 Conference on Interdisciplinary Business and Economics Research, September 28 – 29, 2019, Hong Kong.
- Gaston R.T. & Muzindutsi P.F. (2019) Financial Crisis and Return Volatility of the JSE General Mining Index: GARCH Modelling Approach. Presented at the 21st Global Business And Technology Association (GBATA) Annual International Conference, July 9-13th, 2019, Paris, France.
- Obalade, A.A. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Long-run and Short-Run Effects of Components of Country Risk on Bond Yield Spreads in South Africa. Presented at the International Academic Conference on Management, Economics and Marketing (IAC-MEM), Vienna, Austria.
- Aboluwodi, D. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). Analysis of Efficiency, Performance and Sustainability of Real Estate Investment Trusts in South Africa. Presented at Biennial Conference of the Economic Society of South Africa (ESSA), 3 – 5 September 2019, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Oyetade, D. & Muzindutsi, P.F. (2019). The impact of changes in Basel Capital Requirements on Bank Values and Financial Performance in South Africa. Presented at Biennial Conference of the Economic Society of South Africa (ESSA), 3 – 5 September 2019, Johannesburg, South Africa.