Professor Msizi Mkhize
Building & Room: J Block 2nd Floor
Dr Msizi Mkhize is an Accounting lecturer and Teaching and Learning leader in the School of Accounting, Economics and Finance (SAEF) at University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). Some of his former positions include: Accounting education lecturer at the UKZN School of Education; Project manager of Transformation and Growth at the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants; Head of Commerce at Zwelibanzi High School; and Accounting and Mathematics teacher at Menzi High School, where he developed a turnaround strategy for the school. He holds a Master of Commerce (MCom) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the UKZN. He is the recipient of UKZN’s Distinguished teacher award (2018). He is also the “Play Your Part” Brand Ambassador for South Africa.
His areas of interest are teaching and learning of accounting and mathematics, with a particular focus on exploring the effect of attitudes towards mathematics on learning accounting with the aim of informing higher education pedagogy as it relates to teaching and learning in accounting. He has conducted research on the effects of attitudes towards mathematics on learning accounting and investigated the transdisciplinary relationship between mathematics and accounting in a Bachelor of Education (BEd) curriculum at the higher education institution (HEI). His research has provided an excellent platform to improve his accounting teaching. He explains introductions to accounting topics mathematically to make them easier for students to understand. He shows students innovative and exciting ways to infuse general mathematics principles into accounting and research. He empowers his students with a special type of thinking, generation of ideas and algorithms.
He has developed several learning initiatives which he integrates into his teaching. His engaging lessons are driven by his 5C’s principle: Curiosity, Concentration, Communication, Creativity and Choice. His teaching resources available in an online learning platform for students, runs workshops for high school learners and has many people drawing on from his multiple self-developed learning resources. He has also run workshops to aid fundraising initiatives. He has a good supervision record and makes himself available to students using excellent research coaching methods.
- PhD (Commerce Education)
- BCom Hons
- Secondary Teachers’ Diploma (Indumiso College of education)
- Corporate Finance
Recent Publications and Papers
Publications – Journal Articles
- Sibanda M, Gumede Z, Nomlala B, Mkhize M & Ndlela H 2019. Revisiting the causal link between agriculture, industrial output and financial sector development in South Africa, Journal of Reviews on Global economics, 8, 1258-1267.
- Maama H, Mkhize M 2019. Integration of Non-Financial Information into Corporate Reporting: A critical review theoretical review. Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management (forthcoming).
- Mkhize, M.V. 2019, Mathematics anxiety among pre-service accounting teachers. South African Journal of Education, 39(3): Art. #1516, 14 pages. https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v39n3a1516
- Maama H, Mkhize M & Kimea A 2019. Institutional investors, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Evidence from an Emerging Economy. African Journal of Business and Economic Research (AJBER), 14(3), 91-109. ISSN1750-4562 (online) ISSN1750-4554 (Print)
- Mkhize MV 2019. ‘Transdisciplinary relationship between mathematics and accounting’, The Journal for Transdisciplinary Research in Southern Africa, 15(1), a451, https://doi.org/10.4102/td.v15i1.451
- Perumal R, Perumal S & Mkhize M (2018. Managing diversity – GAA Accounting. The Journal of the Global Accounting Alliance, 8(1) www.gaaaccounting.com/managing-diversity/ (Non SAPSE)
- Mkhize MV & Maistry SM 2017. Pre-service accounting teachers’ attitudes to mathematics. South African Journal of Education, 37(2), 1-12, http://dx.doi.org/10.15700/saje.v37n2a1372
- Mkhize MV 2017. Accounting firms’ managers’ and trainees’ perceptions of managerial competencies required to manage diversity in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, 20(1), 1-11, http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/sajems.v20i1.1436
- Perumal R, Perumal S & Mkhize, M 2012. Transforming the Accountancy Profession through Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment. Alternation Journal, (5), 122-139
- Mkhize M, Perumal R & Perumal S 2011. A Survey of Accounting Firms’ Managers and Trainees’ Perceptions of Diversity Management in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Alternation Journal, 18(5) 47-69
- Perumal R, Perumal S & Mkhize M 2011. Managing diversity in the accountancy profession. Accountancy SA Journal, 43-44 (Non SAPSE)
[expander_maker id=”1″ more=”Read More” less=”Read Less”]
- Perumal R, Mkhize M & Perumal S 2009. ‘Accounting managers’ and trainees’ perceptions of diversity management in the accounting profession – A survey of accounting managers and trainees in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa’, in L Stainbank & D Tewari (eds), International Business Management Conference 2009, University of KwaZulu-Natal (Faculty of Management studies), KwaZulu-Natal, pp. 1 008 – 1 020. ISBN 978 0 620 47228 9
- Mkhize MV 2019. Pre-service teachers’ perception of the usefulness of mathematics. Proceeding: International Conference on Language, Philosophy, Education and Heritage (ICoLPEH2019) (ISBN:978-967-2245-08-7) Casuarina Hotel Ipoh Malaysia. (2-4 November 2019, pp. 1-15) (to be attended).
International Conference Presentations
- Maama H and Mkhize M 2019. Drivers of integrated reporting adoptions: evidence from an emerging economy. Economic Society of South Africa Conference, Johannesburg South Africa, 3-5 September 2019.
- Zungu A & Mkhize M 2018. A study of managers’ perceptions of irregular expenditure in KwaZulu- Natal municipalities. 5th International Business Management Conference. South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal. Friday, 24 August 2018
- Maama H, Appiah K & Mkhize M 2018. Environmental and Social responsibility practice versus Stakeholders expectations in a developing economy. 5th International Business Management Conference. South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal. Thursday, 25 August 2018.
- Maama H & Mkhize M 2018. Integration of non-financial information into corporate reporting: A critical review of theories. 5th International Business Management Conference. South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal. Thursday, 25 August 2018
- Kimea A, Sichome J, Chimilila C & Mkhize M 2018. Analysis of Taxpayers’ intention to use Tax e- filing system in Tanzania: controlling for self-selection based endogeneity. 5th International Business Management Conference. South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal. Thursday, 25 August 2018
- Mkhize MV & Maistry SM 2016. Attitudes towards mathematics and achievement of various groupings of pre-service accounting teachers. In R. Dhunpath (Ed.), Proceedings of the 10th International Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference (pp. 36). University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu-Natal, 22 September 2016
- Mkhize MV & Perumal S 2011. A survey of accounting firms’ managers’ and trainees’ perceptions of the Chartered Accountancy Profession Charter (CA Charter) in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. International Business management conference. University of KwaZulu-Natal (Faculty of management Studies), KwaZulu-Natal, Wednesday, 28 September 2011
Local Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Mkhize M & Mkhize S 2019. Managerial competencies required to manage diverse workforce in KwaZulu-Natal Accounting firms. College of Law and Management Studies Research Day, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Thursday, 17 October 2019.
- Mkhize M 2019. Teaching Portfolios and Community Engagement. Seminar presentation at the School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Westville Campus, University of KwaZulu- Natal, April 26, 2019
- Mkhize M 2019. Pre-service accounting teachers’ perceptions of parents’ and teachers’ attitude towards mathematics, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance Research Day, University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu-Natal, January 24, 2019
- Mkhize M 2018. Managers’ perceptions of diversity management in KwaZulu-Natal. School of Accounting, Economics and Finance Research Day, University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu- Natal, February 5, 2018
- Mkhize M 2018. ‘Attitudes toward mathematics and achievement among pre-service accounting teachers’. Regional Teaching and Learning Conference 2018, Southern African Accounting Association, Durban, June 29, 2018
- Mkhize MV 2017. ‘Putting excitement back into mathematics’. Proceedings of the Annual College of Law and Management Teaching Day, University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu-Natal, http://clmstl.ukzn.ac.za
- Mkhize M & Nxumalo B 2017. ‘Pre-service accounting teachers’ perceptions of mathematics usefulness as correlates of achievement in Bachelor of Education courses’. School of Accounting, Economics and Finance Research Day, University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu- Natal
- Mkhize M 2017. ‘Creativity in teaching mathematics’. The association for mathematics Education of South Africa (AMESA), Mangosuthu University of Technology, KwaZulu-Natal, November 28, 2017
- Mkhize M 2016. ‘Research Proposal Writing Colloquium’. School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, University of KwaZulu-Natal, KwaZulu-Natal, August 8, 2016
- Mkhize M, Perumal S & Perumal R 2011. Accounting firms’ managers’ and trainees’ perceptions of diversity management in KwaZulu-Natal [Poster]. Exhibited at Graduate School of Business Auditorium (Westville campus), University of KwaZulu-Natal (Faculty of Management Studies), KwaZulu-Natal October 4, 2011.
Accounting, Corporate Finance, Mathematics, Management and Business Research Methods
- 2019 UKZN Distinguished Teacher Award Recipient
- 2019 CHE/HELTASA National Excellence in Teaching Commendation Recipient
- 2017/2019 UKZN SAEF Community Engagement Award Recipient