Ms Janet Bruce-Brand
Building & Room: J Block, Room 307
I have spent in excess of 12 years as an academic economist employed by firstly the University of Natal and what subsequently became the University of KwaZulu-Natal. This has included teaching various under-graduate and final year courses. My teaching has included lecturing econometrics across undergraduate and postgraduate levels. I have co-authored an undergraduate economics textbook for South African students. Many first year economics students fail their first economics tests as they try to apply the learning methods they used at school with limited success. I feel that as a teacher (with a post-graduate university qualification in education i.e. Higher Diploma in Education), with university lecturing experience too, I can bridge the gap between school and tertiary education by equipping students with the tools for learning that don’t involve rote memorisation but real understanding and being able to discipline oneself to study. I chair an educational committee outside of the University, which allows me to keep up to date with various educational initiatives that may be applied in a tertiary setting.
- BSc (Hons) (Natal)
- MCom (summa cum laude)
- Microeconomics & industrial economics
- Labour economics
- Economics of education
- International trade and finance
- Energy economics
- Bruce-Brand, J.O and Kohler, M.R.A.R (2017) “Lessons from Renewable Energy Technology Deployment in South Africa: Successes & Failures”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law, Vol. 6(3), pp.8-27, CJEAS Ltd.
- Bruce-Brand, J.O and Kohler, M.R.A.R (2019) “Empirical Analysis of Aggregate Economy Wide Energy Intensity Drivers in South Africa”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law, Vol. 8(1), pp.21-39, CJEAS Ltd.
- Bruce-Brand, J.O and Kohler, M.R.A.R (2019) “An Economic Assessment of Sweet Sorghum as a Biofuel Feedstock: a BRICS Perspective”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law, Vol. 8(2), pp.19-46, CJEAS Ltd.
- Posel, D. and Bruce-Brand, J. (2020) “Only a Housewife? Subjective Well-Being and Homemaking in South Africa”. Journal of Happiness Studies.