Mr Shagaran Rathnasamy
Building & Room: Commerce Building – 1st Floor
Third year Accounting Lecturer in the School of Accounting, Economics and Finance Pietermaritzburg/Westville at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). Some of his former positions include: Lecturer and Module Coordinator of the first year Accounting 101 and 102 modules Pietermaritzburg/Westville (UKZN). Senior Lecturer and Module Coordinator in Accounting at the University of Zululand, former Academic Development Officer at UKZN and an Article Clerk whereby qualified as a Chartered Accountant (SA). He holds a Master of Accounting (MACC).
His areas of interest are teaching and learning of accounting including tutoring and student support, Auditing and Managerial Accounting & Finance as well as Financial Planning relating to retirement funding. He has conducted research on Retirement Planning and the role of Financial Planners in his Masters’ studies.
- BCom – Accounting (UKZN)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accounting (UNISA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advanced Accounting (UNISA)
- Master in Accounting (UKZN)
- Chartered Accountant (South Africa), CA(SA)
- Financial Planning
- Emigration Studies
- Environmental Accounting and Integrated Reporting
Recent Publications and Papers
- Rathnasamy, S & Deodutt, J. 2020. Exploring Adequate Retirement Funding in South Africa: A KwaZulu-Natal Financial Planner’s View. The Journal of Social Sciences Research, Volume 6, Number 2 February 2020. Pages 154 – 157
- Rathnasamy, S & Deodutt, J. 2020. Do Demographic Subgroups and Education Levels of Financial Planners Create a Difference of Opinion when Developing a Retirement Plan in South Africa? The Journal of Social Sciences Research, Volume 6, Number 2 February 2020. Pages 173 – 176.