Dr Bruce Rhodes
Associate Professor , AL Economics (Acting)
Telephone: 031 260 1040
Building & Room: J Block – 3rd Floor Economics
- BA (Hons): Economics (Trent Polytechnic)
- MSc: Environmental Economics (UCL)
- PhD (Economics, UEA, Norwich)
- Environmental Economics
- Experimental Economics
- Sustainable Development
Recent Publications and Papers
- Rhodes BD and McKenzie TC (2018) To what extent does socio-economic status still affect household access to water and sanitation services in South Africa? Journal of Economic and Financial Sciences, Volume number: 11, Issue number: 1 (Pages: 1-9).
- Doorasamy M and Rhodes BD (2018) “Environmental and Economic Benefits of Cleaner Production Processes in the South African Sugar Milling Industry?”
- Strauss, M., George, G. and Rhodes B. (2018) Determining Preferences Related to HIV Counselling and Testing Services Among High School Learners in KwaZulu-Natal: A Discrete Choice Experiment. AIDS and Behaviour, 22(1), 64-76. DOI 10.1007/s10461-016-1602-8.
- Strauss, M., George, G and Rhodes B, (2017) Designing Human Immunodeficiency Virus Counselling and Testing Services to Maximize Uptake Among High School Learners in South Africa: What Matters? SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES, vol.44, Issue No.5 pp.290-296.
- Doorasamy, M and Rhodes B. (2017) EFFECTIVENESS OF MFCA AS A TOOL TO IMPROVING SUCROSE QUALITY IN SUGAR-CANE PRODUCTION. Environmental Economics. Vol. 8, issue No.3. pp.1-9.
- Doorasamy, M and Rhodes B. (2017) South African Sucrose Quality in Sugar: Determinants and its Empirical Implications. Journal of economics and behavioural studies. Vol 9, issue No.5, pp.106-121
- George, G and Rhodes B, (2017) Is there a financial incentive to immigrate? Examining of the health worker salary gap between India and popular destination countries. Human Resources for Health. Vol. 15, issue No. 74, pp.1-10
- Strauss M, George G and Rhodes B (2016). Determining preferences related to HIV counselling and testing services among high school learners in KwaZulu-Natal: A discrete choice experiment. AIDS and Behaviour. pp.1-16. DOI: 10.1007/s10461-016-1602-8.
- George G and Rhodes B (2015) Teacher Salary Differential using Purchasing Power Parity (PPP). A South African Perspective as both a source and destination country. Journal of Education No.63. pp.111-135.
- Strauss M, Rhodes B, and George G (2015). A Qualitative Analysis of the barriers and facilitators of HIV counseling and testing perceived by adolescents in South Africa. BMC Health Serv Res. June 30;15:250. doi: 10.1186/s12913-015-0922-0.
- Vermaak C, Kohler M & Rhodes B (2015) An Economic Assessment of Renewable Energy Technologies in South Africa. Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law, Vol 4, Issue 1, pp.34-53.
- George. G, Strauss. M, Chirawu. P, Rhodes. B, Frohlich. J, Montague. C & Govender. K. (2014). Barriers and facilitators to the uptake of voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) among adolescent boys in KwaZulu–Natal, South Africa African Journal of AIDS Research., 13:2, pp. 179-187.
- Vermaak C, Kohler M & Rhodes B (2014) DEVELOPING AN ENERGY-BASED POVERTY LINE FOR SOUTH AFRICA. Journal of Economics and Financial Services (7),1. pp.127-144.
- David Kimemia, Claire Vermaak, Shonali Pachauri, Bruce Rhodes. (2014) Burns, scalds and poisonings from household energy use in South Africa: Are the energy poor at greater risk? Energy for Sustainable Development vol 18, pp.1-8.
- George G. and Rhodes B. (2012) Is there really a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Has the Occupational Specific Dispensation, as a mechanism to attract and retain health workers in South Africa, leveled the playing field?
- Sooklall R and Rhodes B.(2011). Economic Changes and Government Policy. On the Supply and Demand of Civil Engineers in South Africa. Lap Lambert Publishing.
- Parkin M., Kohler M., Lakay L., Rhodes B., Saayman A., Schoer V., Scholtz F., and Thompson K. “Economics: Global and Southern African Perspectives.” Pearson, Cape Town, 2009.
- Vermaak C, Kohler M & Rhodes B (2009) Developing Energy-based PovertyIndicators for South Africa. Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics vol21 pp.163-195.
- Anchoring and yea-saying with private goods: an experiment by Bateman, I., Munro, A., Rhodes, B., Starmer, C., & Sugden, R. Chapter 1 in “Using Experimental Methods in Environmental and Resource Economics (New Horizons in Environmental Economics)” by John List 2009(ed), pp. 1-19. Edward Elgar.
- von Keyserlingk, C. and Rhodes, B. (2007) Using contingent valuation in hypothetical settings: estimating the WTP for an HIV/AIDS vaccine. The Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 18, (1), 71-90.
- Harinath,V and Rhodes, B. (2004) Closure of a Landfill Site in Ethekwini Municipality: A Test for Strategic Bias in Contingent Valuation. The Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 15 (3&4) pp.341-353.
- Bateman, I., Munro, A., Rhodes, B., Starmer, C., & Sugden, R. 1997, A Test of the Theory of Reference-Dependent Preferences, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 479-505.
- Bateman, I., Munro, A., Rhodes, B., Starmer, C., & Sugden, R. 1997 Does Part-Whole Bias Exist? An Experimental Investigation. Economic Journal, March, pp. 322-332.